Crabbie's Christmas Cake
A traditional Christmas cake is a must at any festive gathering.
Filled with rich fruits and warming spices, this is sure to become a family favourite!
Makes a 20cm cake.
Available from British Corner Shop
- 375g of Whitworths Mixed Dried Fruit
- 50g of Whitworths Glace Cherries
- 250g of McDougalls Self Raising Flour
- 25g of Crazy Jack Flaked Almonds
- 200ml of Crabbie's Ginger Beer
- 125g of Billingtons Light Brown Sugar
- 25g of Lyle's Black Treacle
- 1 teaspoon of Schwartz Mixed Spice
- 1 packet of Silver Spoon Ready Rolled Marzipan
- 1 packet of Silver Spoon Ready Rolled White Icing
- 2 tablespoons of Frank Cooper's Orange Marmalade with Ginger, warmed
- Dr Oetker Soft Gold Pearls for decoration, if desired
To be Sourced Locally
- 120g of Butter
- 2 large Eggs
Heat the oven to 180°C.
Place the dried fruit, ginger beer, sugar, butter, spice and treacle in a saucepan.
Bring to the boil and leave to cool thoroughly.
Add the eggs, flour and almonds to the above mixture and then stir in the cherries.
Transfer into a 20cm non-stick tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake for about 1.5 hours until firm to the touch. (Test with a skewer - when it comes out clean, it’s ready.)
Once cooled, remove from the tin and brush with the warmed marmalade.
Unroll the marzipan and cover the cake, ensuring a smooth finish.
Repeat with the ready rolled icing.
Decorate festively as desired. How about gold pearls for a glamorous finish? Or a sprig of holly and a sprinkling of icing sugar for a simple, traditional finish?
Recipe Date: 29th November 2011.