Mussels and Mackerel Kedgeree
This traditional British breakfast dish might seem a little over the top first thing in the morning but, as a light lunch or supper dish, it is utterly delicious.
Instead of the traditional smoked haddock or cod, wonderfully rich smoked mussels are combined with omega 3 packed mackerel.
Serves 2 generously or double the recipe for 4 people.
Available from British Corner Shop
- A tin of John West Smoked Mussels
- A tin of Princes Mackerel in Sunflower Oil
- 1/2 a tin of John West Anchovies in Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Schwartz Mild Curry Powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Schwartz Ground Nutmeg
- 1 - 2 tablespoons of Jif Lemon Squeezy Juice
- 1 packet of Uncle Ben's Express Basmati Rice
To be Sourced Locally
- 2 Eggs, hard boiled and quartered
- A handful of chopped fresh Parsley
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
In a heavy frying pan, gently fry the onions with the anchovies.
When the onions have softened, add the spices and cook for a couple of minutes to 'cook out' the spices.
Add the drained mussels and the lemon juice.
Add the rice and stir until piping hot.
Finally add the drained, flaked mackerel and season to taste.
Garnish with fresh parsley and the hard boiled eggs.
Enjoy with a green salad.
Recipe Date: 22nd August 2011. Recipe copyright of: Hannah Freeman